Italian Stew with Pasta
Savory fresh herbs with hearty vegetables create a very affordable and easy to make comfort food that just happens to be vegetarian and low fodmap!
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time52 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz (gluten-free) thin spaghetti (or angel hair or vermicelli) broken into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 TBSP garlic infused olive oil
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 reserved pasta water
- 1 15 0z can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth (low fodmap: I use homemade but recently found out that Progresso unsalted or Tuscany is low fodmap.)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 heaping tsp dried oregano
- 1 heaping tsp dried basil
- 1-2 fresh sage leaves minced
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs because the cooking time is low - you may want to use only leaves.
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley minced
- 2 TBSP fresh grated parmesan cheese ...or more. Obviously more.
Optional, NON low-fodmap ingredients
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped add with bell peppers and zucchini.
- 2 cloves garlic, diced add last minute of vegetable cooking time
- Entire can of cannellini beans (instead of just 1 cup)
In a large sauce pan, heat the garlic-infused olive oil til shimmering on medium heat.
Add bell pepper and zucchini. Stir to cover with oil. Saute 5-7 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, stir and let warm up.
Add cannellini beans, stir and let warm up.
Add salt, thyme sprigs (or leaves), sage, dried herbs and sugar. Stir.
Add vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Liquid will reduce quite a bit.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions to al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water before draining.
Drain and let air cool while vegetables finish.
Stir in 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil into the stew. If not thick enough add some pasta water and stir.
Add fresh ground pepper.
Add cooked pasta and stir til combined. Stir in fresh parsley.
Serve topped with fresh parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe can be easily doubled.
This dish tastes better if left in the fridge 2 days!